How to prepare parrots for breeding (before breeding season)

Parrots & other Birds Breeding, Sexing, Diet, Health Issues, Prices etc

How to prepare parrots for breeding (before breeding season)

Postby zaheer minhas » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Again my own expereineces and what i have learnt from others. You have full rights to disagree with me on all or any point you feel. Since i have expereinces which could be very old enough and new generation breeders have more knolwedge than me.

Make it a habit when you enter your aviary use whistle or welcoming signals to your birds, after some time you will feel that they will start welcoming you.

routines
birds like daily routines, don’t change sudden changes in their routines, if you wish to add new things, start slowly adding new things. Birds take time to settle down and accept new changes.

what breeds suits you
if you can or want to keep simple budgies, go for it, don’t think about macaw first and budgie second, bird keeping is not a easy task you have to do it on daily basis, please note there is no holiday. So keep minimum pairs which yu can supervise easily.

Cages
proper cage for every breed. The depth of the cage is very important, as the bird feel more secure in depth. I recommend cages made of iron, however it depends upon your affordability.

Choose their own mates
this is very important point, we neglect this, because we purchase male and female and put them in cage for breeding, like humans they have likes and dislikes, if we allow them to choose their own mate, the success of breeding will increase.

Stimulants for parrots
there could be many stimulats for parrots, increase day length, and switch off lights around 10 pm, misting of water on birds, the birds especially cocktiels enjoy rain bath, actully in the wild birds like to breed in rainy seaons because of abudance of seeds. Also try to give egg food , it is high in protein. Increase the protein level of your birds in breeding season. Wheat germ oil is also very good product. But i recommned instead of vitimins try to give them through soft food/vegetables/fruits.

Increase in day light
as mentioned above increase in day light stimulates birds for breeding. In winter sun set is around 5 pm, so yu can use articfical lights at least 10 pm.

Deworming
deworm your birds with any good qulaity deowrmer. Worms distrubs the birds internally and externally both. External are mites and ticks, which irritates birds,

healty parrots produce healty chicks
observe your pairs on daily basis, males usually aggressive and try to be vocal these days, if any of above fluffed up and sits in the corner, do take care of it.

Soft food/vegetables/fruit
make it a habit on daily basis to provide soft food in shape of soaked pulses, corn wheat. Fruit and vegetables on daily basis, please note birds like routines, if you sudden change in their routines, it may effect on breeding.

Aggressive behaviour
in few breeds male or female are domiant and aggressive with their mates. Watch them on daily basis and observe their response and like dislike with each other.

Daily visit/observe
please make it a habit to observe your every pair on daily basis, sits in fornt of every pair for few minutes, see both the behviour of male and female, obseve them when u give them soft food/vegetables who they react.

Use of antibiotics
plese avoid unncessary use of antibotics, especially fanciers asks from fellow breeders when they have any problem, what ever he advices please reconsider it. Wrong antibitioics not only effect on breeding females it could also create problem in temporary infertility.

Nest bowl
i recommend nest box made of wood, avoid clay pitcher. Nest bowl is easy to inspect, it must fix outsdie the cage, more near to nature, insulator in winter months, more space for young ones to grow, easy to remove and fix.

Perches
this is my personal view(difference of opinions always welcome), always use wooden perches or from trees, the bird feel more comforable when sits as their feet more relaxed, and when crossing the female secures herself tighlty when male mounts her. Use perch according to size of bird and its feet. I bet many infertility problems can be resolved by using proper perches.

Sun light
i am firm believer of direct sunlgith to all of your birds, especilaly early morning rays, which have lot of vitmin -d. Access to sunlgiht have great effect on health and activities of your birds.

True pair
thanks to dna sexing the problem has resolved a lot. But make sure before the start of breeding season that you have true pair. Otherwise due to trial & error most of the time is wasted.

Disturbance
don’t change the cage of your breeding birds unnecessary, let them settle down, see are they happy in this cage, note their acitivity, see are they disturb by cats, mouse , crow or any other predator, birds only breds when they feel secure themselves and their chicks. Don’t make sudden noises.

Dont over pamper your birds
keep your birds in normal conditions, dont try to breed them in unnecessary arificial conditions, over pamper can be dangerous and gets bad results in coming years. Keep them as hard as they could be in the wild.

Don’t get dishearted
have strong will power to face any prolbem you face in bird keeping, you need motivation and buck up when you feel sad, try the best you can do and rest on allah. You will face many unforseen problems in bird keeping, few you can anticipate few you don’t. Keep your morals high at all times. Be positive in your approach, don’t get jealous with good breeding results of others,

last but not least you have to be patient, observant, tactful, calm, brave, honest, big heart and many more attiributes to become successful breeder. Keep it up.

I WISH ALL GOOD BREEDING RESULTS THIS YEAR. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.
zaheer minhas

Return to BIRDS General Discussion